How to Install a Windows Media Player MP4 Codec
Microsoft provides what is known as the Codec Installation Package. This package includes the MP4 codec for Windows Media Player along with many other commonly used codecs.
Obtaining the Official Codec Package from Microsoft
- Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=codec
- Select “Codec Installation Package” from the search results. This codec package supports the current Windows Media Player 10 and 11.
- Validation is required to check if you are using a genuine version of Microsoft Windows. Otherwise, you won’t be able to download the codec.
- Validate and the file should be ready for download.
- Save the EXE to your hard drive. Once the download completes, double-click the EXE to execute.
- It is recommended that users who are unfamiliar with the settings just click “Next” and install the basic/recommended setup.
Using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
Please note that the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is not an official release from Microsoft. However, it is a highly supported and a very frequently updated pack. In fact, a recent survey on a technology site showed just as many users using this pack as the official Microsoft pack.
- Go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack or http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec. You can download either of them.
- Click the Download latest version link near the top in the right-sidebar.
- Save the EXE to your hard drive. Double-click it to begin installation.
- For non-experts, it is highly recommended to just install the recommended setup by clicking “Next”.